1060 Park Avenue, Apartment 4A (Entrance on 87th Street) in Manhattan
The group is open to NYSPA's GLBTQ members and friends, to therapists treating these populations and to anyone who wants to learn more about issues facing LGBTQ people in New York State.
The purpose of this meeting is to:
1. Start the process of organization
2. Increase LGBTQ visibility within NYSPA
3. Contemplate relevant programs
4. Increase NYSPA membership in the LGBTQ therapist community
5. Network and Socialize.
Please RSVP if you are able to make this meeting. If you are interested in being a part of this effort, but can't make the meeting, please inform, as well. (Herb Gingold 718 849 3362 orHGingold2@aol.com).
Summary of the First Meeting (3/16/2014)
1. Introductions - 10 participants attended the first meeting
2. Discussion of the Purpose and Organization of the Group, including our place within NYSPA.
3. Possible projects and programs:
a. Peer Case Consultation for therapists working with LGBTQ clients
b. Program on recent medical/ethical findings (regarding Post-Exposure Prophilaxis for HIV).
c. Liaising with other LGBTQ organizations around both NYC and NYS.
d. Supporting the needs of LGBTQ psychologists
e. Increasing NYSPA membership by making a home for LGBTQ psychologists
4. Educating therapists to better serve LGBTQ clients avoid heterosexist remarks, stereotyping and behavior.
5. Initiating a safe LGBTQ workplace project.
There were a number of other ideas for projects. The next steps are to build membership, formalize organization and start programs and projects.